We are currently on the lookout for experienced PHP developers to join our London office; as an experienced developer you will be responsible for working with, or managing multi-developer teams on builds to enterprise level. In addition to PHP experience and a passion for technology, a keen interest in adopting new development tools, methodologies, languages and frameworks will be beneficial for this role.
Our senior developers communicate regularly and directly with clients throughout the delivery process. Developers often operate as the main technical contact within the delivery team so good communication and interpersonal skills are required to provide this support and lead technical discussions with clients.
Overview of the role
Your expertise will be applied throughout the project process.
Senior developers’ responsibilities will include:
- Leading development teams on a range of small to enterprise level builds
- Providing clear technical advice to designers, front-end developers, strategists, project managers etc.
- Working closely with clients to capture functional and non-functional requirements
- Producing clear and concise requirements specifications
- Proactively identifying, communicating and addressing technical risks throughout the delivery process
- Constructing granular build plans and providing accurate estimations for build tasks
- Running client workshops
- Ensuring builds are robust, thoroughly tested, well documented and peer reviewed
- Identifying improvements to the development and delivery processes
- Identifying appropriate introduction of new technologies
- Technical service design
Mid-level developers will need to have experience of some of the above, and be looking to expand their skill-set to include these types of responsibilities.
Skills & Requirements
As a Senior Developer you will be involved in and responsible for managing complex PHP builds; experience in the following areas is sought:
- Previous delivery of a range of small to large scale websites using PHP
- Database design and management using MySQL based systems
- Application of OOP design principles
- Experience with Content Management Systems and Frameworks, such as Drupal, WordPress, Zend and Symfony or other PHP based CMSs is preferable
- The integration of third party systems, such as CRMs, payment gateways, document management tools, web services and authentication systems
- An understanding of web security concerns; experience of testing and resolving security issues
In addition to the above, experience of the following will be beneficial:
- Designing solutions for high traffic demands; experience of performance testing, analysing results and applying performance improvements
- Configuration of continuous integration systems
- The use of automated testing tools or behavioural driven development
- Management of multi-branch source control repositories
- The application of multi-tiered software architecture methodologies
- An understanding of hosting infrastructure; experience working with load balanced, and cloud multi-server environments
- Experience with LAMP server configuration
- Content Delivery Networks
- Search technologies such as Solr search
- Delivery of resilient solutions including web and database failover features
We employ front-end developers who specialise in the delivery of user interfaces, you will be working closely with a multi-disciplinary team, and should have a basic understanding of the following:
- Semantic HTML
- Progressive enhancement
- Front-end task runners
About Reading Room
Reading Room is an award-winning digital consultancy. We work as architects of digital change, helping our clients create new and effective systems suitable for the emerging challenges of modern business.
We help our clients develop business strategy; we build communication platforms; create content, and provide design and build services for clients in the UK and across the globe. Fundamental to everything we do is a comprehensive understanding of the clients we work with. This client-centric approach has become central to the way we work.
Our approach to work
We work in multi-disciplinary teams to avoid the conveyor-belt approach that is incapable of delivering the complexities of digital projects. We know that digital problem solving requires many different skills and mind-sets.
All our work is based on flexible, agile approaches. This allows us to build, release and test at rapid speeds, updating strategy and research with real-world learning ensures constant improvement to platforms as we build them.
As independent thinkers, we’re free to recommend the right solutions to clients whatever they may be. We are a technology agnostic agency with experience of working with a variety of open source and proprietary technologies including Drupal, WordPress, Kentico and Sitecore. We have extensive experience of integration with third party systems such as Dynamics, Salesforce, SAP, and Sugar CRM.
How to apply
Please apply by email to [email protected]. Include your CV, portfolio (if relevant) and short covering note telling us why you’d like to work for Reading Room.
We do reply to everyone who applies, but at times we do have very high levels of applicants, so please do give us at least a few days to get back to you.
Please note: you must be eligible to work in the EU.