Reading Room is looking for the next Front End Developer to join the vibrant team.
Are you an experienced Drupal front end developer? Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to work at an award-winning innovative digital consultancy? Are you smart, enthusiastic, and ready to help us architect modern, robust, and permanent software solutions? Then this is the opportunity you’ve been searching for!
The successful candidate will demonstrate passion and commitment to the Open Source community and is a protagonist for all things Open Source. Our Drupal Team is based in our London office, but we also welcome applicants from the Bristol area as it's possible for the perfect candidate to work from this office too.
The successful candidate will benefit from 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), a salary sacrifice pension, free drinks on a Friday (subject to offices re-opening), and a whole host of retail discounts through our perks scheme.
Read on to find out if you could be a part of our exciting journey.
We’re Reading Room, an award-winning digital consultancy. For over 20 years’ we’ve been helping businesses solve problems and unlocking value for their users.
One standout thread flows through all our work; we deliver bespoke digital solutions that focus on how people experience technology and bridge the gap between strategic, design, and technical thinking.
We’re not afraid to challenge conventional thinking and we’re well known for our candid, jargon-free approach to delivery.
Our culture is built on trust, collaboration, optimism, inclusivity, and diversity.
Our work adheres closely to the principles of user-centric design and delivers client work using agile processes, and in-depth discovery.
With a forward-thinking mindset, Reading Room has thrived amongst the chaos of an ever-shifting digital landscape – winning industry accolades and attracting ambitious clients to be part of that journey.
We’re now fiercely proud to be part of the independently owned Fat Media Group. The group consists of three independently run businesses – Ronin, an international research agency, Reading Room, a UK-wide consultancy dealing with larger or more complex digital requirements, and Fat Media, a traditional full-service agency based in the North West focused on aspiring SMEs.
Reading Room’s existing client base is impressive, including well-known organisations spanning; central Government, blue light services, public and private healthcare, membership, not-for-profit, charity, and construction… to name a few. In recent times as many agencies have contracted, we’ve seen an uplift in demand and requirement for our specialist services – with a number of new clients joining our growing Drupal family.
About the job
We’re seeking an experienced Drupal UX Developer who will complement and bolster our current team of talented developers. As part of your role, you will be expected to architect solutions, work with our Technical Solutions Team, contribute to our proposals, and help to win new clients with your problem-solving and ideas. And, if you feel you have the ability to break down technical ideas into layman's terms, you will also have the opportunity to support our Strategy Team with new business pitches.
You will get to explore new technology and influence our ways of working within our collaborative environment, you will learn from our existing team while also being able to contribute your own ideas to help us progress and innovate. We’re particularly keen to reestablish links back into the Drupal community and we expect the right candidate to share this passion and enthusiasm too.
We will support you in developing your skills and hope that you will help us develop ours, we are receptive to new solutions and love finding innovative ways of delivering modern software solutions. If you have something to contribute, such as new technology or a streamlined process, we would encourage you to explore and share your ideas.
This is a key hire for our business, and we’re absolutely determined to seek out the very best to enhance the skills our existing team has.
Of course, to meet our expectations there are some key elements you must be prepared to evidence to us:
- Multiple years of professional development in Drupal 8, including:
- Implementing full themes using theme inheritance
- Building and maintaining Drupal UI/UX components for re-use across a site or across multiple sites
- Understanding of Drupal renderable structures + how to safely render content
- Driving forward best practices in front end development and mentoring other devs not familiar with the Drupal Way™
- Engaged in the Drupal Community (be prepared to demonstrate this)
- Full understanding of Drupal behaviours
- Experience with Twig
- Advising on best practice from both a UI and UX perspective on designs
- Developing a fully responsive, mobile first, cross browser front end
- Ensuring UI components are compliant with accessibility requirements (AA and AAA)
- Be prepared so show code examples or demo your front end work in your interview
- Experience with module bundlers such as Webpack, Grunt or Gulp.
- Working with Git + follow branching methodology
- Experience with Node.js, React or Angular
- Experience or exposure to PHP
- An understanding of component based or atomic design patterns.
- Experience developing modular code.
- Atlassian suite (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket)
- Automated testing
- Exposure to SEO best practices
Get in touch
Do you like the sound of all of this? If you’d like to explore this opportunity further, then send us your CV and a paragraph telling us who you are, your accomplishments in Drupal, and why you would like to work with us. We’ll be in touch.
Better still why not share your Drupal.org profile at the same time.
Applications are open now and the start date can be immediate.