We’re looking to recruit a bright and astute PHP Developer who is happy to work in both Drupal and WordPress.
If you are looking to be part of a high-energy team, this is an exciting and rewarding opportunity. Working alongside ambitious clients, you will collaborate as a team to deliver innovative and exciting digital projects - adding real value to our clients.
We are looking for individuals with good attention to detail and who can multitask and switch projects easily. If you want to work on a variety of projects to expand your skills and experience, then this is the opportunity for you. You will learn quickly, exploring and adopting best methodologies and practices in order to fulfil tasks and meet deadlines.
The successful candidate will be based out of either our Lancaster, Bristol, or London office and will benefit from 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), a salary sacrifice pension, free drinks on a Friday (subject to offices re-opening), and a whole host of retail discounts through our perks scheme.
Interested? We would love to hear from you.
We are Reading Room, an award-winning digital consultancy. For over 20 years we have been helping businesses solve problems and unlock value for their users.
A standout thread flows through all our work: we deliver bespoke digital solutions that focus on how people experience technology by bridging the gaps between strategy, design, and technical thinking.
We are not afraid to challenge conventional thinking and we’re known for our candid, jargon-free approach to delivery.
Our culture is built on trust, collaboration, optimism, inclusivity, and diversity.
Our work adheres closely to the principles of user-centred design; we deliver client work using Agile processes and in-depth discovery.
Our impressive client portfolio spans public sector brands such as NHS, Health Education England, and MHRA, to membership organisations like British Safety Council, Unite the Union, UK Coaching, and FIGO, to charities such as Mates in Mind and Teenage Cancer Trust and commercial enterprises, including Royal Mail MarketReach, Countryside Properties, Hill Group, BMI, and Circle Healthcare – to name just a few.
About the role:
We are seeking a PHP developer, happy to work in both Drupal and WordPress, who will complement and bolster our current team of talented developers. The role will primarily be supporting the development and maintenance of a portfolio of Drupal and WordPress sites and will also provide opportunities to develop skills towards full stack development.
We will support you in developing your skills and hope that you will help us develop ours. We are receptive to new solutions and love finding innovative ways to deliver modern software solutions. If you have something to contribute, such as new technology or a streamlined process, we encourage you to explore and share your ideas.
- Supporting a variety of projects for our clients, meeting their digital requirements both on time and on budget
- Ensuring that everything we deliver to our clients is of the highest quality
- Working closely and maintaining good relationships within the wider internal teams
- Working closely with team members and clients to capture requirements
- Identifying improvements to processes and procedures
- Clear escalation of issues for resolution
- A strong knowledge of PHP
- Experience with Drupal development
- Familiarity with WordPress development
- Ability to troubleshoot PHP, MySQL, and CSS issues.
- Familiarity with MySQL
- Good knowledge of web technologies, including HTML and CSS
- Ability to take technical requirements and translate that into working code.
- Experience of Git
- Experience of Composer
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Self-motivated, flexible and reliable
- Understanding of commercial requirements
- Good problem solving and organisational skills, with the ability to multi-task
Nice to have:
- Exposure to Agile practices
- Use of Atlassian suite (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket)
- Understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. Requirements, Design, Development, Testing)