About the role
Are you looking develop your career in sales and within a digital agency environment? Reading Room's new Business Development Manager vacancy is a fantastic opportunity for someone like you to make a real difference to a growing sales team, and play an important role in assisting the Commercial Director and Executives in their roles. You will have the autonomy you need to succeed whilst being well supported, trained and coached by a brilliant team of colleagues across all your work. You'll enjoy working in a lively, ambitious, social, fast-paced and fun office, with a range of brilliant work perks from free breakfast, fruit baskets, pension scheme and social events to a Cocktail Club every Thursday. ...Sound like you? Read on.
Reading Room is a leading creative digital agency. We help clients from (Taylor Wimpey house builders to the Ministry of Defence) with their digital needs, building and delivering brilliant websites to developing mobile applications. This is where you could make a difference. We are looking to build our commercial sales team. We are lively 'do-ers' with a penchant for productivity; we want you to share our appetite for success and join in our collaborative team spirit. Put simply, your role as a Business Development Manager will be to grow the business.
As a Business Development Manager, you'll be expected to take ownership of the full sales cycle of activity, from initial background research and prospecting, to meeting prospective clients - working consultatively to close sales and build long-term client accounts with confidence. A motivated self-starter, you will set your own agenda, research and engage 'warm' and 'cold' clients.
Supported by the established (and growing) Commercial team, you will focus on key verticals including Sport, Arts & Culture, Built Environment and Automotive. You will help accelerate Reading Room's growth across the UK. You'll have access to a great CRM packed full of contacts, and also be encouraged to cultivate your own contact networks and ideas. You'll be focused on delivering selling projects based around consultancy, website design and build, web apps and mobile applications, and also contributing to a host of exciting partnership projects.
As part of the Commercial Sales team, you would be responsible for:
- Lead generation and sales, building a solid revenue pipeline for the agency
- Development of a portfolio of new clients in priority sectors
- Building strong customer relations and dealing promptly with any enquiries
- Adapting to opportunity, flexible in following work outside sectors already identified as showing potential
- Arranging pitches, attending meetings and presenting relevant company credentials
- Driving the proactive outbound sales efforts for the business
- Conducting successful face-to-face meetings with clients, to understand their objectives and business plans
- Capturing top-level technical requirements such as CMS type and the rationale for each
- Consultative engagement, imbuing the client with a sense of assurance and trust, and clearly demonstrating our potential value as partners
- Presenting ideas in a compelling fashion on behalf of the agency.
The Business Development Manager will be expected to meet with multiple clients on a weekly basis, organising your own time and agenda as appropriate, reporting directly to the to the Commercial Director for weekly catch-ups to discuss support and guidance.
To be successful you'll need to be:
- A vibrant, career-focused and results-driven individual with digital sales experience
- From a similar digital agency (ideally), or a client-side sales environment
- Able to initiate prospect communication and fluently align client needs to solutions, to ensure that customers achieve their digital goals
- Careful to feed the sales pipeline, generating enough potential to achieve goals (using a cutting-edge CRM)
- A tenacious individual, with strong negotiation and influencing skills
- A natural relationship builder, from whom the team can learn.
Additional desirable qualities:
- Possess vibrant network of contacts within the industry
- Have some ideas and leads you can cultivate on your own initiative
- Strong organisational skills, managing your own diary
- Able to meet tight deadlines and prioritising daily workload to achieve short and long term goals
- Initiative and judgement to find inspired solutions for our clients and for Reading Room.
About Reading Room
Reading Room is a market-leading full service creative digital consultancy. For over 20 years, Reading Room (the digital branch of Idox Group) has become recognised as one of the nation's most pioneering digital agencies. We have helped clients ride the wave of digital change and adapt to make the most of the opportunities ahead of them. Our in-house team of 100 happy digital specialists now offers the full range of digital marketing services, including web and app development, digital strategy, social media, as well as both organic search and digital advertising.
Here are the facts:
- Founded in 1996
- B2B Marketing Top 10 UK marcomms agency 2018
- B2B Marketing Top 20 fastest-growing UK agency 2018
- The first to innovate the 'Playmaker' product, a bespoke and fully-integrated, all-in-one sports fan engagement product for Championship and Premier League clubs - if it doesn't exist, we create
- Creators of the first ever fully-responsive ecommerce store in football, for Liverpool FC
- Holders of Recommended Agency Register status
- Offices in London, Liverpool and Glasgow.
Reading Room has an impressive and varied portfolio of clients. This includes a group of major FTSE 250, prestigious government and Establishment bodies, as well as premier league football clubs including Liverpool FC, Everton FC and Arsenal FC. We also work with big commercial enterprises such as Taylor Wimpey and Kingspan, SKODA UK and Freeview. We work with clients to develop business strategy; we build communication platforms; create content, and provide design and build services for clients across the UK. Fundamental to everything we do is a comprehensive understanding of the clients we work with. This client-centric approach is core to the way we work.
About idox plc
Reading Room's parent company, Idox, is the leading applications provider to UK local government for core functions relating to land, people and property, such as its market leading planning systems and election management software. Over 90% of UK local authorities are now customers. Idox provides public sector organisations with tools to manage information and knowledge, documents, content, business processes and workflow as well as connecting directly with the citizen via the web, and providing elections management solutions.
It also supplies in the UK and internationally, decision support content such as grants and planning policy information and corporates compliance services. Idox delivers engineering document control, project collaboration and facility management applications to many leading companies in industries such as oil & gas, architecture and construction, mining, utilities, pharmaceuticals and transportation in North America and around the world. The Group employs c.900 staff located in the UK, the USA, Canada, Europe, India and Australia. Idox has many offices across the Country and therefore travel will be required.
This post commands a competitive salary depending upon experience, along with an excellent benefits package.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a CV, and a short cover letter (maximum 500 words - including salary expectation, and current remuneration) explaining why they feel they would be suited to this role to [email protected]
Please note successful applicants will need to satisfy the BPSS guidelines (Baseline Personnel Security Standards) which consist of the receipt of satisfactory references covering the last 3 years of employment; an identity check; verification of eligibility to work in the UK; and a Basic Disclosure Check. This is in order to help us make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with access to personal and sensitive data.
Applicants available to start immediately are very welcome.