About the role
Are you an experienced PHP developer looking for a new opportunity to work with or manage multi-developer teams on builds to enterprise level?
Reading Room is currently recruiting experienced Drupal PHP Developers at a senior level. Join our teams in London or Liverpool and you will have plenty of opportunity to work across some our public sector, B2B and brand accounts.
We help our clients develop business strategy; we build communication platforms, create content, and provide design and build services for clients across the UK. Fundamental to everything we do is a comprehensive understanding of the clients we work with. This client-centric approach has become central to the way we work.
In addition to PHP experience and a passion for technology we are also looking for a keen interest in adopting new development tools, methodologies, languages and frameworks.
Our senior developers communicate regularly and directly with clients throughout the delivery process. Developers often operate as the main technical contact within the delivery team so good communication and interpersonal skills are required to provide this support and lead technical discussions with clients.
Senior developers’ responsibilities will include:
• Leading development teams on a range of small to enterprise level builds
• Providing clear technical advice to designers, front-end developers, strategists, project managers etc.
• Working closely with clients to capture functional and non-functional requirements
• Producing clear and concise requirements specifications
• Proactively identifying, communicating and addressing technical risks throughout the delivery process
• Constructing granular build plans and providing accurate estimations for build tasks
• Running client workshops
• Ensuring builds are robust, thoroughly tested, well documented and peer reviewed
• Identifying improvements to the development and delivery processes
• Identifying appropriate introduction of new technologies
• Technical service design
Mid-level developers will need to have experience of some of the above, and be looking to expand their skill-set to include these types of responsibilities.
What would make someone successful in this role?
As a Senior Drupal Developer, you will be involved in and responsible for managing complex PHP builds. We are looking for experience in the following areas:
• Demonstrable experience of using Drupal 7 & 8
• Previous delivery of a range of small to large scale websites using PHP Frameworks
• Configuration of continuous integration systems
• Commercial awareness
• Database design and management using MySQL based systems
• Application of OOP design principles
• Experience with Content Management Systems and Frameworks, Drupal 7 & 8, Magento is preferable
• The integration of third party systems, such as CRMs, payment gateways, document management tools, web services and authentication systems
• An understanding of web security concerns; experience of testing and resolving security issues
• The ability to both take direction from and lead other developers
• Capture functional and non-functional requirements.
Additional desirable qualities:
• Designing solutions for high traffic demands; experience of performance testing, analysing results and applying performance improvements
• Show initiative, be able to share ideas and push the development team forward.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a CV, and a short cover letter (maximum 500 words - including salary expectation, and current remuneration) explaining why they feel they would be suited to this role to [email protected]
Please note successful applicants will need to satisfy the BPSS guidelines (Baseline Personnel Security Standards) which consist of the receipt of satisfactory references covering the last 3 years of employment; an identity check; verification of eligibility to work in the UK; and a Basic Disclosure Check. This is in order to help us make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with access to personal and sensitive data.