We are looking for a talented, efficient, and curious Lead Communications Specialist to head up our team of communications experts at Reading Room. This is a full-time, hybrid role with the flexibility to work remotely, based out of our Bristol office.
This role will suit you if you are a confident and experienced digital communications planner or content strategist looking for an opportunity to help shape the future of a department.
Salary range: £40k - £45k DOE
- Personal development, learning, and progression opportunities
- Paid for attendance of key industry conferences
- Access to free health, online GP, legal, financial and well-being services
- Retail and gym discounts via Sage benefits
- A whole host of social events throughout the year
- Free annual flu jabs
- Christmas shut down
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Part of a wider group of businesses, privately owned with over 350 colleagues and multiple office locations across UK, USA, and Germany
Welcome to the home of the down-right inquisitive.
A clever person once said, “A problem defined, is a problem half-solved,” which is why 20 years on from where we started, curiosity is still our M.O.
In fact, it’s only once we’ve got to the root of the challenge that we crack our knuckles and get creative, crafting digital experiences that genuinely work for customers and are fit for the future too.
From housing to healthcare, we help all kinds of passionate brands and organisations to realise their digital ambitions. And, as a 100-strong team of digital specialists across London, Bristol, and the North West, we cover the whole caboodle – from the deep dive and digital strategy, right through to the design, technology, and communications that define how customers feel and interact.
We’re also part of a group that includes our sleuthing sister research business – RONIN, giving our clients an even bigger toolbox to collect data, understand their customers, and scale up in other countries.
About the role:
Reporting directly to our Client Services Director, you will be the first point of contact for advice and guidance on clients’ communications needs, as well as leading and mentoring a team of two experienced Communications Specialists based in Bristol.
You will be working with consumer, non-profit and public sector brands, helping them understand the behaviours of their audiences and designing evidence-based digital communications strategies.
Acting as a champion for the communications services we offer, your passion and knowledge will help to ignite ideas among clients and our wider team about how to deliver value through engagement.
As a member of the Agency Leadership team, you’ll also collaborate with other team leads to ensure the smooth operations of the agency.
Your role will include:
- Developing communications and content strategies as part of wider client projects or retainer work, ensuring they are executed effectively.
- Helping to create the personas and journey maps that frame how clients should interact with their customers.
- Establishing KPIs and metrics, then conducting regular reviews with clients against goals set.
- Overseeing our key communications accounts, working alongside the client services and project management team.
- Providing consultation and strategic advice to clients where needed.
- Conducting audits, data analyses, audience research, and trendspotting.
- Designing and leading stakeholder workshops.
- Producing and presenting insight reports, plans, and recommendations.
- Mentoring and helping to develop the capabilities of the Communications team.
- Overseeing the workflow for the Communications team and owning the processes that will ensure work is delivered efficiently to a high standard.
- Working collaboratively with other specialists on tenders and proposals, attending pitch presentations and client meetings, where required.
- Developing creative briefs - working with our project managers and the Design team.
- Content writing, where required.
You are a confident communicator with at least 5 years under your belt working as a content strategist or digital comms planner, with a range of experience that spans public and private sector brands.
As a senior specialist in your field, you’ll know what works, what’s trending, and what success looks like. A natural collaborator, you will be most at home working alongside technical, research, and creative specialists to deliver communications for clients as part of an agency team.
You will be an expert at balancing creative and strategic thinking, with a proven track record in delivering multi-channel strategies that produce measurable results. This means you’re big on making sure there’s data behind your decisions but enjoy coming up with ideas to engage audiences.
Your ability to dig into the data, think through problems, and come up with creative solutions is complemented by a talent for winning the hearts and minds of clients through pitches, presentations, and proposals.
You’re a doer as well as a thinker: your hands-on experience means you’re more than comfortable getting stuck into day-to-day delivery work, such as content writing, when the need arises.
- Extensive experience in creating customer-centric digital communications strategies that encompass website content, social media, content marketing, email marketing, and other channels.
- Understand how digital communications support a marketing strategy.
- Able to evaluate client situations, and then provide recommendations on communications strategy and tactics (based on data and a sound rationale) that will achieve objectives set.
- An effective communicator, able to clearly convey complex ideas and plans to clients, internal teams, and senior staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain client relationships.
- Experience in designing and leading workshops (including the use of remote tools such as Miro)
- Able to produce clear and concise planning and report documents.
- A flair for engaging presentations.
- A high standard of writing, with a background in copywriting and content for both B2B and consumer brands.
- Able to develop knowledge of specialist subjects quickly and adapt creative thinking to suit a variety of topics, interests, and sectors.
- In-depth knowledge of digital measurement, metrics, and reporting best practices.
- Proficient in MS Office software and web applications.
- Up to date with current trends and best practices in digital communications and marketing.
- Strong organisational skills and impeccable attention to detail.
- Experience managing or mentoring a team.
- Worked within an agency environment.
- Experience using social listening and analytics tools.
- Experience working with a broad range of organisations, including the public sector.
- Experience in developing CRM strategies.
- Experience using Google Analytics.
- Experience writing creative advertising and brand copy.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.
Given the nature of the business and our clients' requirements, any job offers issued will be conditional upon the return of a satisfactory basic DBS check and employment references.
Please be aware that we receive a wealth of applications for our vacancies and if you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date then your application has been unsuccessful. If you have any queries, then please call us on 0207 173 2800.
We reserve the right to close this application before the closing date.