As a research-led, data-driven business, our whole ethos is to explore, discuss and discover before we decide on the solution. In fact, from the get-go, one of our USPs is our tech-agnostic approach. Do you share that ethos?
Salary range: £45k - £60k DOE
We’re on the hunt for a smart-thinking, technically minded, people-person who can bring confidence and energy to this critical client-facing role. If you’re looking to be part of a motivated team, this is an exciting and rewarding opportunity.
- Personal development, learning, and progression opportunities
- Paid for attendance of key industry conferences
- A competitive salary
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Access to Sage Benefits package - including significant discounts across a range of retailers and gyms, and access to free mental health services and financial welfare support.
Welcome to the home of the down-right inquisitive.
A clever person once said, “A problem defined, is a problem half-solved,” which is why 20 years on from where we started, curiosity is still our M.O.
In fact, it’s only once we’ve got to the root of the challenge that we crack our knuckles and get creative, crafting digital experiences that genuinely work for customers and are fit for the future too.
From housing to healthcare, we help all kinds of passionate brands and organisations to realise their digital ambitions. And, as a 100-strong team of digital specialists across London, Bristol and the North West, we cover the whole caboodle – from the deep dive and digital strategy, right through to the design, technology and communications that define how customers feel and interact.
We’re also part of a group that includes our sleuthing sister research business – RONIN, giving our clients an even bigger toolbox to collect data, understand their customers and scale up in other countries.
About the role
Reporting to the Operations Director (with a dotted line into the Head of Consultancy) you will be working alongside ambitious clients to explore, shape, and define technical problems.
You will set out technical approaches that deliver long-lasting, robust, digital solutions - adding real value to our clients.
But you won't be doing this alone. Once you’ve asked the right questions and explored enough to narrow down the options, you will have a substantial team of Lead Developers at your disposal to provide the granular detail. Working together, you’ll arrive at the perfect solution to present back to our clients.
You will be expected to:
- Learn about and stay up to date with the technologies we use
- Manage the relationships with our technical partners, attending training events and conferences
- Become a go-to person internally for information about different technical approaches and web technologies
- Understand the strengths and use cases for a range of different web technologies
- Work as part of a consultancy team, with specialists across a range of disciplines
- Work closely with our technology leads
- Understand and help shape the direction of Reading Room's technical roadmap
You will almost certainly have experience in a web/platform context, but might currently be a:
- With 5 years + of relevant experience
- Using a solution-based mindset, focusing on defining technical approaches to a problem, rather than writing code.
- Seeking to humanise technology, making it accessible to all
Or a Business Analyst or Solution Architect
- With 3 years + of relevant experience
- Who wants to translate data and technology into meaningful change for our clients
- Experience working directly with clients including senior stakeholders (heads of departments and C-suite)
- A confident & clear communicator. Used to facilitating workshops and client engagements
- Confident working in an autonomous role
- Experience in writing technical proposals & responding to tenders
- Experience with (and an appetite for) pitching and presenting
- Analytical in your approach to problems and requirements
- Confident in asking the right questions to uncover information and inform correct decision-making (internally and externally)
- Experience distilling requirements into an actionable plan
- Understand the importance of governance and industry standards for the web that relevant to commercial organisation actions, charities, and government bodies
- Experience working with large organisations with complex needs and complex stakeholder relationships
- Able to understand, simplify and communicate complex technical problems and approaches
- Can confidently bring together technical cost estimates.
Experience in the following is a bonus:
- Understanding of CMS such as Drupal, Umbraco, Kentico, Sitecore
- Understanding of AWS and similar cloud-based hosting
- Working with, or in, a government or NHS body
- Working to GDS & accessibility guidelines
- User-centric design and user research
- Living within easy commute to Bristol or London
Because this role requires significant internal networking it will require 2-3 days working from an office-based location, ideally within commutable distance to our Bristol or London offices. However, this is negotiable for the perfect candidate. The successful candidate will also be prepared to visit client premises on an ad-hoc basis, at our expense.
Applications & Process:
Please send your CV and a cover letter outlining why you think you would be a great fit for the role.
Please be aware the successful applicant will be subject to a Basic / Standard DBS check and must have the right to work in the UK.